background

Friday, March 28, 2014

Friday Favorites: Trader Joe's

In 2012, Trader Joe's opened in near us. I had friends who were excited for months when they heard the news of the new location. I had friends who took trips to New Hampshire and returned home with bags full of their TJ staples when there was no store nearby. I was intrigued, but didn't fully understand the hype until I started shopping there myself. Now I totally understand all the excitement.  I can now say I have my very own long list of favorites, but every time I go in there I find new and unique products that we love. I feels so much better about putting it in our bodies too!

The produce is deliciously fresh. The selection of cheeses is amazing. The ingredients are quality at a great price. Even in the snack foods and prepared frozen foods, you can actually identify what you are eating in the list of ingredients in the back. The food has no artificial ingredients and minimal processing. It's real food!

I remember asking lots of friends for their favorites list when I was started shopping there, so I thought I would share my most recent favorites with you. It's not an exclusive list! There are so many gems o be discovered, but here are just a few that I think are worth checking out on your next (or first) trip! 

1. Greeting Cards: It hadn't crossed my mind to check out the greeting cards until the day I needed one and was conveniently at TJ's. First of all, all of their cards are $.99, but most of them look like they are from the fun hipster section at Target. Need I say more? Cards that aren't $4 each that are fun? They don't look like they are cheap-o cards, but instead have fun sayings and unique graphics on them. I've even purchased a couple to frame and add to the cute gallery wall I'm slowly creating for the girls' room.


2. Roasted Coconut Chips: If you like coconut, you need these in your life. Imagine crunchy coconut shavings that are much more substantial than shredded coconut. Not only are they delicious to munch on, but make perfect toppings for yogurt, ice cream and oatmeal. Those are the ways I've used them, but just found this recipe for coconut chicken. Adding that to my menu next week!

3. Ridge Cut Sweet Potato Chips: Really good. And again only have four ingredients in them! Slightly addictive especially paired with TJ's Bacon Ranch Dip or Carmelized Onion Dip. It made my husband a happy man when I brought them home and paired them together for him. After all, chips and dip are one of his many love languages.

4. Lightly Salted Crunch Green Beans: I would buy them more regularly if it weren't for the fact that they are $4 for a very small bag that I could eat in one sitting. They are a delicious snack that satisfies the cravings for salty chips, but is totally a vegetable (not just a veggie flavored chip).

5. Sweet and Sour Chicken: I'm actually not sure that they carry this anymore because last time there was Sesame Chicken in it's place. Either way it is worth noting because normally I don't buy frozen meals in our house (beyond the occasional frozen pizza). I just enjoy making my own with fresh ingredients and then freezing it myself. BUT, the frozen foods section at TJ's is impressive and as I said contains quality ingredients. When we are in the mood for an at home take out kind of a meal, I've found that I can stop a TJs for an Asian inspired dinner. Their Sweet and Sour Chicken tasted better than the Chinese take-out we get from our local spot. I never would have known it was from the freezer. The Sesame Chicken was the same way. We like to pair ours with TJ Potstickers or dumplings and TJ Fried Rice (if I don't make my own). Makes for an easy go-to meal to keep in the freezer when it happens to be one of "those" days.

6. Coconut Cranberry Granola: Delicious. It pairs perfectly with some Greek yogurt. Check out the breakfast below that I've been enjoying lately.

7. Organic Tea Lemonade: Those who know me know that I am an Arnold Palmer connoisseur. It's my favorite. If you blindfolded me and put different brands in front of me, I could probably distinguish the difference for you easily. TJ's Organic Tea Lemonade wins first place. Honestly, it is probably in a league of it's own. Must be something about real sugar and lemon vs. artificial flavoring that takes it to another level.

8. Fresh Flowers: I love love love fresh flowers. I love to have them throughout my house all year long. It brightens everything up, makes life more cheerful (and colorful) and makes home even more homey. Half the time the grocery store selections seem cheesy (I'm not a fan of daisies dyed with neon food coloring) and way overpriced. Just one more reason I love a grocery trip to TJ's...their fresh flower selection that is not only diverse and beautiful, but CHEAP. A large bouquet of purple tulips $4.99. An assorted bouquet of Gerber daisies $3.99. Hydrangeas...$5.99. Sunflowers...3.99. For $10, I can put flowers all over my house.

9. Soup: Their boxed soups are flavorful and fresh tasting! I like a bunch of them, but the Tomato/Roasted Red Pepper is my favorite.

10. Gone Bananas: Amazing frozen chocolate covered banana slices. Perfectly ripe bananas covered in chocolate. Two ingredients...bananas and chocolate. Yum!

11. Fresh Ravioli: Their fresh ravioli choices are unique! We are fans of the Lobster Ravioli and Portabello Ravioli.

12. Nuts: They have a great assortment of nuts. Beyond the normal nuts that I love, I like their Salt and Pepper Pistachios and a couple of their Thai Chili Lime Cashews at a time.


And as promised....

here's what I've been enjoying for breakfast this week: A yogurt parfait complete with vanilla greek yogurt, TJ's Coconut Cranberry Granola, TJ's Roasted Coconut chips, fresh strawberries, TJ's Honey Roasted Almond Slivers and TJ's Chia Seeds.  So satisfying, fresh and delicious.



I'm thankful for Friday and for the promise of the weather finally breaking next week. Spring is ALMOST here! 

No comments:

Post a Comment