background

Monday, March 3, 2014

My Life: The Musical

I love music. I may not be the most musically gifted person outside of my car and shower, but that never stopped me from dancing around with a hairbrush. When I hear a song, it brings me right back to that exact time and place with certain people and specific memories. There are songs tied to all of my memories. Music has gotten me through break-ups, milestones, my happiest excited moments and my saddest. My life is like one big (at times embarrassing) mixed CD. There's just something about someone singing lyrics that identify completely with what you are feeling that is invigorating or healing.

There was the day Karl broke up with me in the fifth grade and I moped around the house for weeks singing, Mariah Carey's "Always Be My Baby". #tenyearoldwhothoughtshewas24 #Istillplayedwithdolls #tireswingenvy #bornmelodramatic

The summer my parents divorced, Everclear released "Wonderful". Heartbreakingly real words that described my heart. I cried myself to sleep lots of nights listening to that song. I heard it a few years ago at a restaurant with Joe and my stomach knotted up. Brings me right back.

When I hear Beyonce's "Crazy in Love", I'm back on Law4 as a freshman at SU getting ready to go dancing with friends OR sitting in the student section at the Dome getting pumped for a big game!

Butterfly Kisses by Bob Carlisle = dancing with my Daddy at my wedding

Randy Houser's "Running Out of Moonlight" is my summer song. It's a roll down your windows while the warm summer breeze is blowing, blast it kind of song. The one you sing at the top of your lungs on your way to get ice cream after a long day in the pool. Oh my goodness, I can smell summer as I listen to it right now! I'm ready!

There are songs that fit different moments in my life and then there is this song that captures my story: my life, my heart, my love for God. I listened to it for the first time and thought it was like someone read my journals and wrote these words. It feels like "MY" song.  "All This Time" by Britt Nicole puts into words my journey with the Lord from the first moments I knew He was meeting me where I needed Him most to today.  I love it and every time I listen to it I remember how much I love Him. It positions my heart to worship. He's the God who sees, the God who rescued me.  I'm so thankful He's been walking with me all this time.

Listen to it here.


 All This Time 
I remember the moment, I remember the pain
I was only a girl, but I grew up that day
Tears were falling
I know You saw me

Hiding there in my bedroom, so alone
I was doing my best, trying to be strong
No one to turn to
That's when I met You

All this time, from the first tear cried
'Till today's sunrise
And every single moment between
You were there, You were always there
It was You and I
You've been walking with me all this time

Ever since that day, it's been clear to me
That no matter what comes, You will never leave
I know You're for me
And You're restoring

Every heartache and failure, every broken dream
You're the God who sees, the God who rescued me
This is my story

All this time, from the first tear cried
'Till today's sunrise
And every single moment between
You were there, You were always there
It was You and I
You've been walking with me all this time

I hear these people asking me
How do I know what I believe
Well, I'm not the same me, and that's all the proof I need
I felt love, I felt Your grace
You stole my heart that day

You've been walking with me all this time

All this time, from the first tear cried
'Till today's sunrise
And every single moment between
You were there, You were always there
It was You and I
You've been walking with me all this time

Ever since the first tear cried
It was You, You and I
You've been walking with me all this time

Ever since the first tear cried
It was You, You and I
You've been walking with me all this time




Do you have an anthem? A lifesong? What are your memory songs? Share with me in the comments! 







No comments:

Post a Comment