background

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Stitch Fix

Have you heard about Stitch Fix?

It's not a surprise to those who know me that I love clothes, style watching, surprises and getting mail! Stitch Fix rolls all of those things into a fun package delivered right to your doorstep.

In case you aren't familiar, StitchFix is a personal styling service. To begin, you fill out a style profile (which is really fun and channels the inner teenage girl in me who loved monthly Seventeen magazine quizzes) and based on your results, your stylist sends you a box of five goodies to try on (while having the comfort of pairing it with things you already have in your own closet). You have three days before you have to make any decisions about keeping the items or sending some back in an easy-to-use prepaid envelope. Your stylist sends a card of style ideas with each item, which helps to pair the items with things you already have! (I loved that perk!) There is a $20 styling fee, but if you keep anything in your box, that money goes toward your total purchase. After you make your purchase, you go online to fill out a survey that indicates why certain items worked and why others didn't. This allows your stylist to improve your fixes each time and tailor them more and more to your liking (taste, size, shape, color preferences, needs).

For a girl who wished for a computerized Clueless closet since she was ten and has on occasion imagined what it would be like to have someone to personally style her, Stitch Fix sounded like a ton of fun! I've wanted to try it for a while to see how someone else would interpret my style and pick things for me I might not have without help. It seemed like a fun way to spruce up my wardrobe with some new items AND who doesn't love getting a package of new clothes in the mail?

I hesitated because I noticed the average price point of friends' items were higher than I would normally pay. I don't spend a lot on my clothing budget and when I do shop, I am always finding great deals at my favorite stores! However, while I am definitely a bargain shopper, I also enjoy some quality pieces in my wardrobe that will last a while and can be worn many ways or for special occasions. I knew scheduling a "fix" would be a bit of a special splurge, so I waited until Christmas when I had some gift money to spend and scheduled my first fix. You can schedule to have fixes sent to you monthly or just choose to schedule one when the time is right for you. There is even a space to indicate what you are hoping for in your fix.

I ordered my first fix in December and if only I wasn't so excited to rip it open and try everything on, I would have remembered to take pictures to share with friends who have been wondering. I'll remember to take pictures next time. I'm thinking maybe around my birthday, which is at the beginning of June (perfect timing for the start of a new season). 

So, how did it work out? 

Here is the note my stylist, Britney, sent with my package: 

Welcome to Stitch Fix, Jen! I hope you love your first Fix! I wanted to find pieces that stay true to your romantic, casual style while staying within your budget. All the pieces I have included can be dressed up for the holidays, but can also transition to the more casual days with your kids...Have fun mixing and matching these pieces and we would love to hear your feedback to help us gain a better sense of your style as we go! Enjoy! XO Britney

She sent me: 
  • a pair of skinny jeans (LOVED. Unlike any pants I had ever put on before. But, I decided to send back because I had a pair that was the same color and couldn't justify another. If only they had been a darker wash...)
  • a coral colored long sleeved striped shirt with a bow detail on the back (loved, but didn't fit me right)
  • a floral print blazer (loved, but not the right size for me)
  • a black silk detailed short sleeve blouse (kept!) 
  • a short striped bubble skirt (the only item I thought really wasn't for me!)
Style: I loved 4/5 items. So, Britney did a great job capturing my style. 

All that to say, while this isn't something I would/could do monthly, for me it is a treat a couple of times a year. I would recommend Stitch Fix to you if it something that sounds fun to you. I would simply make sure you communicate your desires and personal style as clearly as you can (including your price point). Then, take a risk and wait excitedly for your package to arrive in the mail! 

Wanna give Stitch Fix a try for yourself? Use my personalized referral link and place your first order. Then, tell me all about it! AND you can even invite me over or Skype with me while you decide what to keep and I'll give you my input because then we'll feel like old friends popping our heads out of the fitting room again!




No comments:

Post a Comment