background

Monday, February 10, 2014

Girls Like Us

Last year, I picked up a fiction book (A Walk Across the Sun by Corbin Addison) that told about the underworld of Mumbai, India. The book told the story of two children who were kidnapped and swept into the international sex trade. Reading this book and knowing it was based on a very serious reality pricked my conscience in a new way. While Addison's book has a happy ending, I am very aware that not every woman's story does. God used this book to break my heart for women all around the world who are in similar situations. 

My friend, Joyce, has been sharing with me for years about the passion God has given her to do her part and help victims all around the world who are suffering such human injustice. When I shared with her my new found interest in learning more and doing my part, she recommended I read Girls Like Us: Fighting for a World Where Girls Are Not For Sale, an Activist Finds Her Calling and Heals Herself by Rachel Lloyd. 


Rachel Lloyd is a survivor of the commercial sex industry who has devoted her career to activism and helping other young girls escape a life of pain and abuse. In the book, she shares stories from her own personal experience, as well as the stories of girls she has helped. This is one of the most informative and unforgettable memoirs I've ever read

I was enlightened as the author shared the difference between a teenage prostitute and a commercially exploited teenage girl. I was shocked to realize there were twelve year old little girls on the street being sold for sex. I was reminded of the reality that many girls don't even have a category for real love because since birth the people who were supposed to take care of them have abused them and called it "love". The consequences of broken families and abandoned children being drawn into a relationship with a pimp who calls himself Daddy didn't surprise me. However, my world was turned upside down by the truth that this is not just an epidemic happening to girls internationally or in third world countries (which is a huge problem by itself), but this is happening right around us to women in our own cities. 

I learned about how broken the system is and the intricate web of people and societal issues that contribute to it. The truth is the commercial sex industry wouldn't exist without the demand for it. Girls Like Us paints an accurate, real world picture of the horrific problem that is on the rise in the United States and around the world. 

Rachel Lloyd founded GEMS (Girls Educational and Mentoring Services) to meet the needs of girls who share her history of being commercially exploited. She supplies a safe environment for girls to find counseling and support, as they break away from "the life" and begin the healing process. 

When I was done reading, I wanted to know what I could do to get involved. You can learn more about GEMS, the services they provide and the ways you can contribute at their website. There are ways to join the campaign and help to educate others. You can organize a book group and host a viewing party for the film Very Young Girls to introduce others to the issue. You can raise funds for the cause in creative ways OR you can make a purchase from the GEMS shop to help raise awareness (100% of all proceeds go to GEMS). Even if we each purchase a set of notecards for $8, we can make a difference. 


If nothing else, read the book. It isn't an easy read because of the nature of it's contents, but it is a page turner. It's sad, but it is reality. I didn't want to put it down because it was so interesting, but had to at times for an emotional break and to give my daughters hugs. I read it and wanted to tell everyone about it. 

For that reason, I want to give a copy away to one of my friends. If you are interested in a receiving a free copy of the book, here's how it will work. You can enter in four ways (which means your name can be put in the pool four times). Do any or all of these things for a chance at a free book. 

1. Leave a comment. 
2. Become a follower of the blog (if you already are that counts as one entry). 
3. Email subscribe to the blog (if you already have that counts as one entry). 
4. Follow Embracing Grace and Glitter on Bloglovin' (if you already have that counts as one entry). 

On Monday, 2/17, I will put everyone's name in a bowl (some of you multiple times) and randomly pick who I will send it too! 

Free books are another love language of mine. So, I'm excited to LOVE you and send you a copy for free! That's also how much I care about this topic. 

Thanks for reading! I'll let you know who wins. 

xoxo.






7 comments:

  1. Pick Me - mainly cause I love to win things! :) Love your passion friend and glad you can freely pass that along to one of your blog readers. Plus I love PAPER books...

    - Nichole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Part of me is commenting because I'd love to receive this book but another part of me is commenting because I've wanted to tell you Jen just how encouraging and uplifting your blog is. You are very well spoken and your blog posts are always most enjoyable to read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lOVE your blog! Love the various posts! Great topics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to win! First, b/c we talked about this book on the phone, and second because, I just like winning things :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've definitely been wanting to read more about this issue. Amazing the numbers:(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post Jen and so happy to see you pass on such a remarkable book :) (and to see the interest of your friends!) <3 Don't worry about putting me in the running for the book haha I'd love for someone who hasn't read it to receive it - great idea! - Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  7. So excited to have been the winner here! Thanks Jen and Abby. I'm a faithful reader of the blog, but missed the part about winning a book. What an exciting start to Monday. Have you also read Half the Sky? Love that book too. Same concept -- by Nicholas Kristof. http://kristof.blogs.nytimes.com/

    ReplyDelete