background

Saturday, May 31, 2014

Phenomenal Woman

My years at Syracuse University were amazing gifts to me. Lifelong friendships. Endless opportunities to learn and grow as a person. Spending my college years at SU was one of the best decisions of my life. It became so normal to attend incredible events, games, concerts or parties any night of the week. Maya Angelou was one of my many favorites.

It was my sophomore year. My good friend, Julie, always knew the exciting stuff happening on campus and would invite me along. So, we grabbed dinner in the dining hall and walked across campus to see Maya Angelou like it was no big deal. My 19 year old self didn't really appreciate it as much as my 29 year old self does now. I'm thankful for the memory.

lifelong friends

When I heard the news of Maya Angelou's death this week,  I remembered that night. She read us her poem "Phenomenal Woman". Can you believe I can still hear her voice reciting it? If I had simply read through the poem myself, it wouldn't have been the same. I can hear the places she paused and the places she added emphasis. It was my first poetry reading and I was captivated. It made me feel so officially college-y. I can't believe that was ten years ago! I remember it like it was yesterday.

"Pretty women wonder where my secret lies.
I'm not cute or built to suit a fashion model's size
But when I start to tell them,
They think I'm telling lies.
I say,
It's in the reach of my arms,
The span of my hips,
The stride of my step,
The curl of my lips.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me..."
- a portion of "Phenomenal Woman" by Maya Angelou 

This week, I listened to Maya Angelou reciting the poem again. Thanks to news stories, my Facebook newsfeed and Pinterest, I read through many of her quotes and poems. Once again, I was inspired by some of her words. 


Jesus is love. He is my rescuer.









No comments:

Post a Comment